Looking to reduce your carbon footprint and save money on your electric bill? Here are 10 simple tips to help you out:
1. Always turn off the lights when you leave a room.
2. Monitor your thermostat - as the summer heats up set it up a few degrees and use ceiling fans to help you feel cooler.
3. Schedule a free home energy audit with your electric company.
4. Seal air leaks with caulking, sealing, or weather stripping to help keep your air conditioning inside.
5. Be aware of your lighting usage, during the day opt to open curtains to allow daylight in instead of turning on a light.
6. Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
7. Make sure you aren't keeping your refrigerator or freezer too cold. Recommended temperatures are 37° to 40°F for the refrigerator and 5°F for the freezer.
8. Turn off your computer when it is not in use.
9. Whenever possible, use your microwave for cooking. It uses two-thirds less energy than the stove and will keep the house cooler.
10. Looking for a fun way to save energy? Plan an Earth Hour celebration one evening each week where you turn off the lights and eat dinner and play board games by candlelight.