Sunday, March 22, 2009
Recently our guide dog puppy in training Hope returned to Southeastern Guide Dogs to finish her training. Hope is the second puppy we raised for this awesome group who provides free guide dogs for veterans and other who have need them. While we taught Hope all the basics she needs to hopefully succeed in her training she taught us a lot about life. Here are some lessons Hope taught our family:
1. Live in the moment. Dogs don't worry about the past or future, they fully enjoy the current moment.
2. Trust your instincts. Pay attention to others body language and energy, it will tell you more about them than the words they use.
3. Be sure to communicate clearly with others. Dogs only understand clearly given commands, too many words can be confusing - the same can be true for people.
4. Don't hold on to negative feelings. If dogs in a pack have a conflict they resolve the dispute and move on.
5. Celebrate each day. According to Cesar Milan, "For a dog, every morning is Christmas morning. Every walk is the best walk, every meal is the best meal, every game is the best game." Live like a dog and celebrate life's simplest moments.
Want to learn more about the amazing experience of being a puppy raiser for Southeastern Guide Dogs or more about their great programs check out www.guidedogs.org