Usually hosting a party means generating a lot of waste. Next time you have friends over, be sure to entertain with the earth in mind. Some simple steps can reduce waste and may even save you money!
1. Shop local - hit your farmers market for fresh ingredients with a low carbon footprint.
2. Instead of fresh cut flowers, decorate with native potted plants that can be planted after the event.
3. Send E-vites or use recycled-paper invites.
4. Opt for products with minimal packaging - reducing the amount of processed foods you buy helps the environment and saves you money.
5. Don't waste food - be creative with leftover food or talk to a local shelter ahead of time to see if they accept food donations.
6. Avoid using paper products, by using reusable dinnerware and cloth napkins you are being kind to the planet and your wallet.
7. Recycle - be sure to make it easy for your guests to recycle cans and bottles by setting a recycling bin near the trash can.
8. When attending a party bring a hostess gift that shows your commitment to helping the earth like a plant, or an organic wine in a reusable fabric gift bag.